5: 3 High Street

P1010775

3 High Street.

 One of the few remaining Georgian buildings in Skipton, No. 3 High Street was built circa 1780 by the Earl of Thanet, to house his Steward who looked after the Skipton Castle estates. To the rear and at right angles to the house, is what was originally the Craven Bank, established there in 1791. The house remained in the ownership of the Castle until 1958 when it was occupied by the solicitors, Walker, Charlesworth & Foster. During the time between being built and 1958 the house was occupied by Castle stewards, solicitors and doctors, the last being Dr’s John and Joyce Goodall.
The house is well constructed in coursed masonry with large quoin stones all capped by a stone clad hipped roof. In true Georgian manner, the front façade centres around the doorway which is flanked by elegant two storey, three sided, splayed bay windows. Note the retained proportions and detailing of the timber window frames and the stone doorway surround flanked by triple attached columns and capped by a broken triangular pediment encasing a timber fanlight. The fanlight may not follow the original design as they more usually had a small semi circle of glass immediately above the door head from which sprang the glazing bars radiating from the centre point of the fanlight. The refined detailing continues to the slender columns to the angles of the bay windows, mirroring those to the doorway and the eaves corbeled cornice supporting a concealed rainwater gutter. The whole façade is enhanced by historic railings set on a simple refined stone plinth.
Next time you pass this building please pause, and appreciate its beauty.
 Barry Rawson